Matcha Green Tea came into my life about 3 years ago... I was browsing along in the nearby mall when I stumbled into a tea shop. The saleslady asked if I'd like to take a sample of the "tea du jour". um, yep. I pretty much don't turn down samples :)
for the next few minutes I watched in awe as she poured and whisked the green tea powder into a frothy mixture. when she handed me the sample, I thought I was in love... until I sampled it- literally, tasted like I licked a lawnmower. I gagged. I retched. it was awful... thinking I was not a novice tea drinker, she apologized and sweetened the tea with a wee bit of honey.
now we were talking... I loved it (with a bit of sweetness). and as she explained all the benefits of matcha green tea... I fell more in love and purchased on the spot. the saleslady was good... but so were all the goodness in matcha green tea. check it:
How to select Matcha Green Tea?
- Choose organic powder... also look for unsweetened!
- Make sure the powder is a vibrant green color.
- Where we snag our matcha tea
How to store Matcha Green Tea?
- We keep our matcha green tea powder in a cool, dry and dark place!
- Make sure to keep it tightly sealed as it will pick up the aromas from nearby scents.
How can you use Matcha Green Tea?
At first, I thought matcha green tea was only used as a beverage or in smoothies! But, there are so many other recipes out there...
and so much more... it's even found in a lot of beauty recipes + products!
What are the benefits?
there are tons of benefits of matcha green tea... it's known for an amazing supply of antioxidants! why? well, when you drink matcha you are ingesting the entire leaf (not just steeping the leaves). so. you are getting all the amazing nutrients from the tea leaves... and the powdered Matcha green tea has ~137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea. (Thank you, Matcha Source).
Since we like BULLET style learning... here's some quick goodness of matcha.
- promotes healthy eyes + skin
- fights cancer
- boosts immunity
- stimulates relaxation without causing drowsiness (thanks to amino acid, L-theanine)
- boosts memory
- improves concentration and mood
- increases endurance
- high amounts of antioxidants (like 60 times MORE than spinach!!!)
- promotes a healthy heart
- may fight off Alzheimer's disease
there were a few fascinating facts about matcha green tea... one was the amino acid found in matcha. it's called L-theanine which creates alpha waves in the brain which help to increase your focus and concentration!
the other cool thing about matcha was that it holds EGCg which is a very much appreciated acronym for epigallocatechin gallate. (say that 10 times fast?) anywho. EGCg holds potent cancer-fighting properties as well as protects the body from free-radicals. seriously. how amazing.
How do you use Matcha Green Tea in your beauty routine?
as we mentioned earlier... matcha green tea is loaded with antioxidants which may have anti-aging powers. plus, green tea is also known to hold soothing properties, reduce wrinkles and give the skin a healthy glow!
here's a quick recipe, facial mask, I have used and it's SUPER simple:
- 1 tbsp of matcha green tea powder
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- NOW WHAT?
- Mix the ingredients together using a popsicle stick
- Place the mixture on your face, avoiding the eyes
- Leave for ~10 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly
If you are looking for over-the-counter products, I stumbled upon this antioxidant face mask from Plant Apothecary! haven't tried it, but will definitely be looking more into it! have you tried it? let me know your thoughts, love!
What is one of your favorite recipes with Matcha Green Tea?
loves. I really haven't dived deep into recipes using matcha green tea... it's mainly just been served as a hot beverage... slipped into our daily superfood smoothie... or the occasional "goddess bowl" which I'll share ;)
GREEN GODDESS BOWL RECIPE
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 handful of ice
- 1 scoop of plant-based protein superfoods, vanilla (we use vegan vanilla Shakeology)
- 1/2 frozen banana (peeled, diced then frozen)
- 2 tbsp of roasted walnuts, chopped into bits
- 1 tsp of matcha green tea powder
- NOW WHAT?!?
- Grab your blender and place the almond milk, superfoods, matcha tea, ice and frozen banana in the blender. BLEND until smooth!
- Place the smoothie mixture in a bowl and top with roasted walnut bits... serve immediately!
Additional Tid Bits of Matcha Green Tea
while researching matcha green tea, I learned it's origins began in China where matcha green tea was being consumed for over 1,000 years. it was introduced to Japan when Japanese monks brought tea plants back from China. it was said to assist the monks during the hours of meditation... by helping them stay alert and calm!
this is a special type of green tea and the leaves are not steeped! matcha is premium green tea powder from Japan that is whisked with hot water or used in other recipes.
you can check out this amazing site to learn how to make your own perfect cup!
RECIPES USING MATCHA GREEN TEA
Stay tuned for additional recipes posted here!
Websites/Books which helped me learn more about matcha green tea!
- CrazySexyJuice by Kris Carr
If you have any recipes or beauty products that you love which use matcha green tea... then drop them down below in the comments or email me, here: email@example.com :) Would be happy to try new things out!
love + gumption.