let's get it out on the table, shall we... I don't like pancakes.
((( GASP )))
seriously. I'm not a huge fan of pancakes... waffles... french toast... pizza, to come to think of it. but, that's a different story altogether.
however, the hubster is a HUGE... HUGE... HUGE fan of pancakes. every time, we would travel and hit up an old diner... pancakes would be his order. while my order was typically grits with bacon and sunny side up eggs.
anywho. with this love of pancakes, he was given the prestigious title, "PANCAKE MAKER" in our house. this meant, he never got to make pancakes ;) UNTIL the Gillies were born.
(in case you didn't know... Gillies are what we call our twins)
so. when they were born and began eating solids... the hubster wanted to make pancakes a weekend tradition... YAY!!!!
(that was dripped with sarcasm).
WHAT!?! pancakes... ugh. right? you feel me? no? ok... let's continue.
now. the hubster loves to make pancakes but HIS recipe calls for buttermilk... real sugar... and real flour... not the stuff they sell at the local health food store. and with our familiy tending to lean towards foods that PROMOTE brain and gut health... that wasn't it. I mean, I can not tolerate milk proteins... and neither can our daughter... so buttermilk... YIKES! call the plumber.
TMI? keep going...
that's when this recipe fell into my lap... now. I basically meshed two recipes into one... based on trial and error... meaning, I tried to remember one recipe and halfway through making the mixture remembered the second recipe. but... the end result has become a FAMILY FAVORITE... MINE included.
I can now say, I love pancakes... but, if being honest. I love these pancakes. PUMPKIN pancakes.
it's now become a Saturday morning family tradition :)
besides. cool little factoid about pumpkin... they are loaded with anti-inflammatory properties... as well as antioxidants which are ridiculously good for you. so, why not enjoy and nourish your body at the same time, right?
here's the recipe, thank you for reading all the way through... hope if you aren't a pancake-lover, you fall in love with these. I did.
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin (canned)
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- 4 eggs, whisked (I know... 4)
- 1/4 cup of almond flour (or gluten-free flour works, too... coconut flour was not my friend with this recipe)
- 4 tbsp of coconut oil (or grass-fed, butter or ghee), melted
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ginger
- 1 tbsp of pumpkin spice
- dash of himalayan pink salt
- grease up your skillet and get it warming up!!! (I'm going to be COMPLETELY honest... I hate dishes and a messy kitchen.... so I tend to use one bowl to make everything... you can mix dry ingredients first then whip in the wet... but, I'm limited on time and like I said, hate dishes)
- melt the coconut oil in a glass measuring bowl
- add the eggs to the melted coconut oil and WHISK away
- add the pumpkin to the egg mixture and blend then add the maple syrup and blend
- now, add all the dry ingredients and spices to the pumpkin mixture... stir til fully blended
- once the griddle is warm and ready, spoon out a wee little mixture on the griddle
- the mixture will expand on the griddle... so make a note of the room you have available
- once you see bubbles forming on the pumpkin mixture, gently FLIP over and cook the other side
- remove from heat and sit aside while continuing to do the steps listed above until all the pancakes are made
- we top our pancakes with maple syrup and fresh blueberries plus serve with a glass of "emerald sunshine".
love + gumption.
The Brain + Gut Health Explorer